Outsourced Marketing Engagements
Small to medium sized organizations that need to fill a professional strategic marketing role but can’t justify a full-time senior hire can turn to R.C Gregory & Co. for help. Rick Gregory serves these firms through an outsourced “fractional” marketing executive role. This involves an on-going engagement where Rick participates as an integral part of the management team, working with company leaders to formulate and assess strategy, synthesize marketing plans, and manage all marketing-related activities.
This approach offers several advantages:
- Provide a more senior marketing leader than the company could afford or could attract in a full time hire.
- Provide a more capable strategic thinker and marketing execution specialist than a lower cost full-time hire would provide.
- Supplement an existing sales and marketing executive who must focus on salesforce and customer issues.
- Combine objective external insight with the familiarity of an internal team member.
- Enhance a technical product management team by introducing professional marketing discipline.
- Achieving cost-saving execution through R.C. Gregory’s broad range of capabilities and captive resources.
- Achieve time savings by eliminating hand-offs to unfamiliar external vendors.
- Consolidate marketing activities that are currently spread across multiple staff members.
- No benefits, payroll taxes, office space or other employee-related expenses.
Outsourced marketing engagements are handled with a combination of on-site and remote activity. Frequent interaction is essential so we are always actively engaged in the company’s marketplace activities, product planning and other dynamics. This creates familiarity that enhances overall marketing continuity.
Because fractional engagements are funded through a monthly consulting retainer with no payroll taxes, benefits or other employee expenses, most clients find that the investment in engaging Rick Gregory in a fractional role is roughly equivalent to the all-in expense of employing an administrative assistant. For this, the client gets a proven marketing professional with 20+ years experience handling strategic marketing management and implementation, especially involving complex technical products and services.
Clients also find that in addition to formulating strategy and managing marketing activities, Rick Gregory will personally handle many marketing tasks that would normally require the engagement of external specialists, thus avoiding many of those expenses as well. Avoiding third-party resources also results in fast turnaround time to accommodate emergent opportunities and the client’s busy schedule.
When projects do require external resources, R.C. Gregory & Co. can offer a network of trusted sub-contractors (e.g., for web design, photography, graphic design), or can work with resources with which a client has already developed a relationship.
Activities typically covered under a fractional marketing engagement include:
- Marketing planning and strategy development
- Development of detailed marketing plans, calendars and budgets
- Marketing budget tracking, analysis and reporting
- Regular participation in strategy and planning meetings
- Media analysis, selection and communications
- Media negotiations
- Copywriting for advertisements, literature, website content, techno/marketing papers (e.g. case histories, whitepapers)
- Publicity efforts (writing and distribution of press releases)
- Electronic marketing planning and execution
- Direct marketing planning and execution
- Branding assessment, brand name development
- Ad hoc strategic support (e.g., business plan support, acquisition and J.V. due diligence, competitive analysis)
- Tradeshow and conference planning and promotion
- Website strategy and management, including search engine optimization, pay-for-placement programs
- Development of presentation materials for customer presentations, board presentations, investor presentations
- Key account homework and strategy support
- Channel support
- Development of dollarization approaches for key products
“Rick was instrumental in establishing Xcellerex’s identity in the marketplace, and making our complex story understandable to our target customers and investors. While not a scientist, he was able to quickly understand and translate what we were trying to accomplish in a simple yet compelling way. The result was a fast revenue growth ramp culminating in the successful sale of the company.”
“I have worked with many good and a few great consultants over the years. Rick is easily in the top 1% of them! He provides a unique combination of business sense, market research and marcom skills. And he is always on time!”
“Rick was an outstanding partner and a great extension of our team. He brought a broad skill-set and extensive experience to the assorted projects we worked on together. From product development strategy to coordinating tradeshows, from media program management to branding to investor presentations... Rick got things done and done well. We came to depend on him to manage both individual tasks and complex programs professionally and promptly.”
“I had the opportunity to work with Rick Gregory in a dynamic and demanding environment where his professionalism and poise were especially appreciated. With his availability, his focus and the results he helped produce, Rick delivered quantifiable value to my group and our business. I consider Rick more than a contractor, more than a consultant. He became a trusted, essential team member, augmenting our staff and amplifying our effectiveness.”
“With Rick as a member of our team, our marketing efforts were significantly elevated. He brought a deep knowledge of our markets, and helped distill down key features and benefits across a diverse product line into sharp, targeted messaging. He fit right in with our team and always delivered timely, professional and polished work.”